PDA

View Full Version : The Pinball Arcade Is On Its Way To The Windows 8 Marketplace!!!

PiN WiZ
02-17-2013, 12:12 AM
While many are still waiting for Valve to release The Pinball Arcade on Steam, FarSight will be submitting The Pinball Arcade to Microsoft soon for inclusion in the Windows 8 Marketplace. This version will be playable on all devices and desktops running Windows 8 including Surface tablets and phones. I don't currently have anything running Windows 8, but it's good to see that The Pinball Arcade will finally get some exposure on the PC platform sooner rather than later.

Nik Barbour
02-17-2013, 02:06 AM
I had to recently replace (not by choice) the family's ageing Vista laptop, with a cheap but ok-ish spec Win8 laptop.

While I actually quite like Windows 8 now I've got used to it, one of the first things I wanted to try was Zen PBFX2 which is also available in the win 8 store.
Downloaded it, fired it up, started 'Mars' which is free to play, and was so under whelmed I haven't bothered since for 2 months.
I'm personally comparing Zen to the xbox and Android versions which I own both of, and graphically it's better on Android (by a lot) than it is for win8 PC.

Of course I probably will give TPA a go on Win 8, but I'm thinking it will be the same disappointment that Zen is on there.

Heretic
02-17-2013, 02:21 AM
my thoughts extactly nik considering its going to scale from arm based to pc, its probably similar to the mac os x port for now. if they added proper controller support to this version its incentive enough for me, like nudging.

i guess we need to wait for the publisher for the most advanced version.

anyway...ive got an addiction to firepower and im cursing the nudging lol

night
02-17-2013, 02:22 AM
More platforms more problems.

Heretic
02-17-2013, 02:29 AM
More platforms more problems.

yet it opens it to a huge pc market from low end to high end at least with this version, more profit more rescources more backported improvements.

negative nelly,

only platform i truely think is a waste is oyua...im sure many would disgaree lol but yeah

Nik Barbour
02-17-2013, 02:46 AM
...ive got an addiction to firepower

Man, I'm exactly the same. I didn't think I'd play this much having had it on WPHOF, but the tuning is so good on TPA. I can't stop myself (despite the multiball bug). I think I have a problem!

kimkom
02-17-2013, 03:57 AM
I'll look forward to hearing more info on this as it becomes available. This is positive news for the PC release, people! :D

Big problem for me (as I'm sure many will share) is that I am quite happy with Win7 Pro, and don't see me moving to Win8 anytime soon.

Can anyone share any info on how the Windows 8 Marketplace works? i.e. would it be possible to (silly question alert!) to transfer TPA from Win8 to Win7?

Perhaps putting Win8 on another drive would get around the problem?

kimkom
02-17-2013, 04:11 AM
This version will be playable on all devices and desktops running Windows 8 including Surface tablets and phones.

Also, are there different versions of an app which are hardware dependent? I mean, surely what's capable on a decent spec Windows 8 PC, would not also run on a phone.

ravager
02-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Man, I'm exactly the same. I didn't think I'd play this much having had it on WPHOF, but the tuning is so good on TPA. I can't stop myself (despite the multiball bug). I think I have a problem!

Firepower was my go to table for so many years. The bugs do suck, but I still love the TPA version! So much fun...

Advalle
02-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Mo systems, mo problems

warh0g
02-17-2013, 01:53 PM
My HTPC is running Windows 8, so this will be interesting. If they will be releasing on Microsoft store in the same manner as they do on Android and IOS I can satisfy my thirst until release is due on PS3, except if the version on Windows will be better. Then I might switch platform.

Biff
02-18-2013, 07:51 AM
This is positive news for the PC release, people! :D

Not at all, IF this is just another TPA Light version.
Sorry, but I'm so sick of all these Light versions....
I don't have a PC to play such games... it's 2013 and they are similar to the ones
I played 15 years ago.

Farsight can do this on mobile devices to reach more people.
But it s*cks to see light versions on the PC & Mac.

Sean DonCarlos
02-18-2013, 08:58 AM
It shouldn't be, the PC beta for Twilight Zone that I tested a while ago looked like the 360 screenshots. The 360 and Windows PC share code libraries (specifically DirectX) for graphics processing, so TPA should look very similar on either system.

Jeff Strong
02-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Hopefully they add some extra graphics options for PC (i.e. higher res textures, G.I. Lighting, more shadows, etc.) since a lot of PC gamers have better hardware than what the 360 is packing.

Bass Mummy
02-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Ugh. I do not want to upgrade to Windows 8. I'm gonna try to hold out for Steam to end the greenlight process, or perhaps Farsight's new XBox 360 publisher can get them on Steam. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Richard B
02-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Does this mean it will be corss-compatible with the next Xbox, since it will be running on Windows 8?

karl
02-18-2013, 12:06 PM
I can understand they want to get it out there and win 8 is probably the easy way out for Farsight. I am only hoping desperately that if they do get it out on win 8 they will not sit and do nothing to get it out to all of us that do not want to install Windows 8. To be frank I would rather pay for another console than install windows 8, but I feel this route will force me to do just that, or wait another year to play on steam. It will probably be out on the next gen consoles before steam. Sorry for sounding negative but I was hoping they would choose another platform to get the pc ver out than win 8

SpiffyRob
02-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I'll hold my breath at least until it is released. Given that a lot of what I'm looking for in the PC release won't be there up front (cabinet support, namely) I'll wait at least until subsequent updates give me everything I'm looking for. If it *still* hasn't found its way to XP or Win7 by then, I'll consider the upgrade.

Crush3d_Turtle
02-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Hopefully the game will run well on a Microsoft Surface Pro. It really is a fantastic device and easily has sufficient hardware to run the game. If the game does come out for Windows 8, it would be sufficient to push me into upgrading my gaming rig too.

shutyertrap
02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Wanna hear something funny? Doing a Windows 8 version wasn't FarSight's idea. They were literally getting hounded by Microsoft to see if a Win 8 version would be made. Which is funny considering all the hassles MS has given them with Xbox. Obviously MS needs content for Win 8 platforms.

Sean DonCarlos
02-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Wanna hear something funny? Doing a Windows 8 version wasn't FarSight's idea. They were literally getting hounded by Microsoft to see if a Win 8 version would be made. Which is funny considering all the hassles MS has given them with Xbox. Obviously MS needs content for Win 8 platforms.
I'm sure there are legal reasons why they couldn't do this, but I would have held the Windows 8 version hostage in exchange for some assistance/bending of the publishing rules with the 360 version.

jkonami
02-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Well, congrats on the Windows 8 release, but don't forget about those of us waiting eagerly for the Steam version! Count me as one of many who won't be updating to Windows 8 anytime soon (whats the real point if you aren't using a touch screen device?)

PiN WiZ
02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Figured I'd throw something out there as well, but take this with a grain of salt. Everyone has been wondering who FarSight's new publisher is and all signs point to Microsoft Game Studios.

Late last year, FarSight announced that they had found a new publisher and were in the final stages of finalizing the contract...which in my opinion, included terms that FarSight would release The Pinball Arcade on the Windows 8 Marketplace which is why it was announced out of nowhere in my opinion.

Also, FarSight was asked by their new publisher not to announce their partnership just yet which may be a safeguard for Microsoft to pull out of the deal if any of their previously agreed upon terms were not met.

Lastly, FarSight recently stated the following on their latest ST:TNG Kickstarter Update : "We are currently seeking bankruptcy court approval to transfer the game to a different publisher, and we will release Star Trek: The Next Generation on the Xbox 360 as soon as that happens." Release of new content on XBLA immediately after publishing rights have been transferred over to their new publisher without a 4-6 week long approval process could only be made possible by one publisher and one publisher only...Microsoft Game Studios.

Again, this is just my two cents and this post is meant to be taken with a grain of salt.

jkonami
02-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Figured I'd throw something out there as well, but take this with a grain of salt. Everyone has been wondering who FarSight's new publisher is and all signs point to Microsoft Game Studios.

Late last year, FarSight announced that they had found a new publisher and were in the final stages of finalizing the contract...which in my opinion, included terms that FarSight would release The Pinball Arcade on the Windows 8 Marketplace which is why it was announced out of nowhere in my opinion.

Also, FarSight was asked by their new publisher not to announce their partnership just yet which may be a safeguard for Microsoft to pull out of the deal if any of their previously agreed upon terms were not met.

Lastly, FarSight recently stated the following on their latest ST:TNG Kickstarter Update : "We are currently seeking bankruptcy court approval to transfer the game to a different publisher, and we will release Star Trek: The Next Generation on the Xbox 360 as soon as that happens." Release of new content on XBLA immediately after publishing rights have been transferred over to their new publisher without a 4-6 week long approval process could only be made possible by one publisher and one publisher only...Microsoft Game Studios.

Again, this is just my two cents and this post is meant to be taken with a grain of salt.

Well, that doesn't bode well for Steam, then. Microsoft and Valve are basically competitors at this point, I wouldn't be surprised about an exclusivity agreement.

PiN WiZ
02-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Well, that doesn't bode well for Steam, then. Microsoft and Valve are basically competitors at this point, I wouldn't be surprised about an exclusivity agreement.

Keep in mind that a new version of The Pinball Arcade will be released on XBLA. Assuming that Microsoft Game Studios is the new publisher, the new version of The Pinball Arcade will have a different name and will therefore be exclusive to XBLA (and possibly Windows 8) just like the Pinball FX series is which means The Pinball Arcade can still be released on Steam (hopefully announced tomorrow).

Nik Barbour
02-25-2013, 09:46 PM
(whats the real point if you aren't using a touch screen device?)

I've got win8 on a non touchscreen (cheap) laptop, but you can perform most of the touchscreen functionality via the touchpad / mouse. Once you get used to it, its actually OK.

Dont Troll Me
02-25-2013, 10:12 PM
farsight need to think about how many will have win 8 i know a lot of people that don't want to bother with win 8 for good reason it seems farsight just straight out refuse to back TPA on steam without greenlight vary disappointing, i don't really know how much it costs to put it up without greenlight tho.

it always been the case of good bad good bad with windows many of us will have win 9 or what ever they will call it, most of the reason for it is microsoft keep releasing them too fast and when we see it we go pfff too soon.

i think the main question is will it still be possible on steam or is microsoft gonna pay to horde it on win 8.

superballs
02-26-2013, 06:16 AM
I can understand they want to get it out there and win 8 is probably the easy way out for Farsight. I am only hoping desperately that if they do get it out on win 8 they will not sit and do nothing to get it out to all of us that do not want to install Windows 8. To be frank I would rather pay for another console than install windows 8, but I feel this route will force me to do just that, or wait another year to play on steam. It will probably be out on the next gen consoles before steam. Sorry for sounding negative but I was hoping they would choose another platform to get the pc ver out than win 8

I believe it costs like 48$ to upgrade win7 to win8. It's also a rather well received operating system.

farsight need to think about how many will have win 8 i know a lot of people that don't want to bother with win 8 for good reason it seems farsight just straight out refuse to back TPA on steam without greenlight vary disappointing, i don't really know how much it costs to put it up without greenlight tho.

it always been the case of good bad good bad with windows many of us will have win 9 or what ever they will call it, most of the reason for it is microsoft keep releasing them too fast and when we see it we go pfff too soon.

i think the main question is will it still be possible on steam or is microsoft gonna pay to horde it on win 8.

How about ANYONE who buys a new computer from the realease of windows 8 onward.
There are a lot who have already upgraded.

It's a critically well received OS and is quite funtional, with or without touchscreen.
System specs are not that much different from those of windows 7

Face it, it's windows and people are going to have it. They probably won't release the app marketplace for windows 7, it won't matter how much people cry about it. Think DX10 and windows XP...people moaned about that for years and it never saw the light of day (also for tech reasons since XP should have been abandoned long ago).

I actually think it's funny how we all lock ourselves into expensive contracts for the newest cell phones happily but cry about new versions of windows.

shutyertrap
02-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Well, congrats on the Windows 8 release, but don't forget about those of us waiting eagerly for the Steam version! Count me as one of many who won't be updating to Windows 8 anytime soon (whats the real point if you aren't using a touch screen device?)

I agree. I just upgraded to Windows 8 from XP, and the lack of touch screen was really annoying my enjoyment. Easily solved though, picked up this...

http://technologiesreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/t650-touchpad1.jpg

Logitech T650 and I've all but stopped using my mouse. I no longer feel like I'm fighting with Windows 8, and am slowly learning to take advantage of certain things. Admittedly, having the ability to just use the normal desktop makes it a little too easy to fall back into old habits, but it also feels like a safety net for when I do experiment with the tiles.

superballs
02-26-2013, 07:03 AM
I wonder if my pen tablet will function like that. I'm pretty excited to see if that will work the way I want it to.

shutyertrap
02-26-2013, 07:24 AM

I think Apple has them beat on releasing operating systems!

Dont Troll Me
02-26-2013, 07:33 AM
System specs are not that much different from those of windows 7

I actually think it's funny how we all lock ourselves into expensive contracts for the newest cell phones happily but cry about new versions of windows.

which is why we like our windows 7 just fine. and i don't bother with expensive contracts for the newest cell phones ;)

superballs
02-27-2013, 09:38 AM
which is why we like our windows 7 just fine. and i don't bother with expensive contracts for the newest cell phones ;)

So, you just pay outright for them? Only other option is to hang on to an old handset for years.

You can be happy with Windows 7, but don't realistically expect MS to port their main new OS selling features to an older OS.

Jeff Strong
02-27-2013, 09:46 AM
But I'm so comfortable with Windows 7 :/

jkonami
02-27-2013, 11:59 AM
So, you just pay outright for them? Only other option is to hang on to an old handset for years.

You can be happy with Windows 7, but don't realistically expect MS to port their main new OS selling features to an older OS.

Isn't it kind of a bad move though to not put the Windows store app on Win 7 too? I mean you're gonna sell more copies of regular software than you are of operating systems even with new computer purchases in mind. Many will remain with 7 for years to come, I can't understand why they wouldn't want to give their store the widest audience possible. I'm not suggesting they need to go as far back as XP or Vista, but it makes sense to support 7 also.

Still rooting for a Steam release despite all this.

shutyertrap
02-27-2013, 02:34 PM
I think MS is just really trying to push Win 8. With Surface, their phone, and the desktop, they are doing everything they can to get people to jump on board 'cause that is the only way they are gonna compete with Android and iOS. I'd put money on the next Xbox being virtually identical in look to Win 8, using tiles to navigate. This is a complete image overhaul, so it makes sense to me not putting an app store in Win 7. This is their future, most new computers will be using this OS, probably too much headache to try and make it all work with Win 7.

kimkom
02-28-2013, 11:29 AM
I think you're right, it's virtually certain that the next Xbox user interface will look and feel exactly like Windows 8.

Carl Spiby
02-28-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm done with modern consoles, what happened to the days when you put a disc in and played a game? I'm sick of all this social bull**** being shoved down our throats all the time.

Ken_Clark
02-28-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm done with modern consoles, what happened to the days when you put a disc in and played a game? I'm sick of all this social bull**** being shoved down our throats all the time.

Amen, brother!

Sean DonCarlos
02-28-2013, 12:16 PM
I agree. I was going to suggest we start up a group called the Antisocial Society for those sick of social networking, but it appears that someone has beat me to it: Anti Social Society (http://www.antisocialsociety.com)

Nik Barbour
02-28-2013, 01:22 PM
I agree. I was going to suggest we start up a group called the Antisocial Society for those sick of social networking, but it appears that someone has beat me to it: Anti Social Society (http://www.antisocialsociety.com)

You could write a blog about it.

dirtyvu
02-28-2013, 01:38 PM

there's a lot of reasons to upgrade to windows 8. even if all you're looking for is the performance improvements.

if you don't like the new start screen, use a start screen replacement program to get back the old start menu. I'm already playing Pinball FX2 with the new Star Wars tables. great stuff. using my 360 controller and my 23" vertical monitor (part of my 3 monitor setup).

Heretic
02-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the forum dirtyvu

You derrty win8 lover(a soon to be pirchase ****ing tpa)

jkonami
02-28-2013, 02:25 PM
there's a lot of reasons to upgrade to windows 8. even if all you're looking for is the performance improvements.

if you don't like the new start screen, use a start screen replacement program to get back the old start menu. I'm already playing Pinball FX2 with the new Star Wars tables. great stuff. using my 360 controller and my 23" vertical monitor (part of my 3 monitor setup).

I'd be curious to know what the reasons are. Did they go back to being able to create a folder hierarchy in your start menu? One of my biggest complaints with 7 even though I'm overall satisfied. I end up having to type in partial names to find what I want but I'd love to have a completely customizable start menu again. I definitely won't use the new window panes touch screen start menu. In any case, I don't have the money to upgrade even if I wanted to!

dirtyvu
02-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Welcome to the forum dirtyvu

You derrty win8 lover(a soon to be pirchase ****ing tpa)

thanks for the welcome! :D

yeah, with the crap that's been going on with the bankruptcy/change of publisher thing on the 360 side of things, it'd be nice to have TPA in Windows. I'm actually spreading out my pinball to multiple platforms. Windows would be great. I can download it to my desktops, my laptops, and my tablets. plus, I love the vertical monitor! makes work/reading a joy and is perfect for pinball.

dirtyvu
02-28-2013, 07:17 PM
I'd be curious to know what the reasons are. Did they go back to being able to create a folder hierarchy in your start menu?

yeah, win8 works like win7 in terms of typing in partial names.

http://i47.tinypic.com/116nomt.jpg
you have alphabetical sorting

http://i50.tinypic.com/2s6uk46.jpg
you still have a folder hierarchy view in Win8 if you want it

http://www.eightforums.com/attachments/f1/f33/12375d1354666555-post-your-start-screen-8-screen-tweak-blur.png
and of course, your own customized start screen. note: this isn't my desktop. I actually prefer having more tiles on the start screen so I turned on that feature where this guy kept it the default size. I didn't include my desktop because it's not that different just more tiles.

really, you can convert Win8 to look just like Win7 if you really want to (except the Aero look). lots of start menu replacements to bring back the win7 look.

superballs
03-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Not to mention that they priced the upgrade from windows 7 at like 48$ or something rediculously low.

shutyertrap
03-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Got my upgrade for $15!!

There was some promotion that I snuck in on with only a couple of days left on it. Sure beats the $199 they wanna charge over at Best Buy.

superballs
03-02-2013, 11:11 AM
I just downloaded the win8 pro iso and claimed one of my msdn keys. I will hopefully have everything backed up by tonight and win8 installed by tomorrow night.

My only question is: is this going to be the full in pc version or a cut down mobile version?

Biff
03-02-2013, 01:18 PM
My only question is: is this going to be the full in pc version or a cut down mobile version?

This is positive news for the PC release, people! :D

It shouldn't be, the PC beta for Twilight Zone that I tested a while ago looked like the 360 screenshots.

Don tested the real thing, but I still think that the one on the Windows 8 store could be just a fking light version.
Maybe both, like on the PSN. Vita & PS3.

Here are quotes from the current newsletter:

Our 2013 plans include:

Releasing Pinball Arcade on Wii-U, OUYA, as a Windows 8 app for desktop and Surface tablets, and as a PC game with cabinet support

we are submitting our game to Microsoft for inclusion in the Windows 8 Marketplace. This version will be playable on all devices and desktops running Windows 8 (including Surface tablets and phones).

PS: Also a good question for the next Q & A with Bobby King.

seattlemark
03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
I think this is great news! I hope that in this TPA on Win8 they enable XBOX Controllers (like Pinball FX2 supports under Win8). Flipperwise, I find it much easier to use the triggers on the XBOX controller when I play Pinball FX2 on my Windows 8 desktop PC, than using my Kindle Fire tablet's glass for the flippers buttons in TBA. Same is true for the nudge. As far as the picture, I use my monitor (and sometimes my TV) with the Fire on TPA and with the Win8 PC on PBFX2. Although I think the picture from Windows 8 with PBFX2 is benefiting because my graphics adapter on my desktop PC is a lot more powerful than on my Fire.

Nik Barbour
03-02-2013, 01:44 PM
http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/3542-The-Pinball-Arcade-Is-On-Its-Way-To-The-Windows-8-Marketplace!!!?p=56813#post56813

If Zen for Win8 is anything to go by, TPA for win8 will almost definitely (I'm not positive, but very nearly) be a scaled mobile version for PC, similar to the current TPA for Mac version.

The TZ PC beta Sean played will almost certainly be a derivative of the full Windows version which cannot get greenlight on Steam.
Not the same animal at all.

Zen for Win8 is a ghastly shadow of its console counterpart, and is not even as good as the Android version!

dirtyvu
03-02-2013, 06:09 PM
http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/3542-The-Pinball-Arcade-Is-On-Its-Way-To-The-Windows-8-Marketplace!!!?p=56813#post56813

Zen for Win8 is a ghastly shadow of its console counterpart, and is not even as good as the Android version!

no need for any FUD. maybe the guy didn't turn up the higher graphical settings. they are all at the lowest settings by default when you first purchase it. apparently, the reason is that the game is extremely buggy with various versions of Nvidia drivers. some people have had to fall back on older Nvidia drivers to get the higher graphical settings enabled.

luckily for me, I have ATI/AMD and the game looks beautiful.

Nik Barbour
03-02-2013, 09:45 PM
turn up the higher graphical settings.

I turned them to max, but it looked flat and matte, but even more importantly, the game play didn't feel fluid. (this was the free table - Mars).

I'll admit it's not the greatest spec laptop, but it's not bad.

Be interested to see some screen shots off your system.

I guess no one knows fully what it will be like till it releases. I certainly want to try it.

utblick
03-03-2013, 12:14 AM
From Facebook:
We are submitting for Windows 8 very soon. We plan to be on all windows 8 devices through it's marketplace.
Great!

dirtyvu
03-03-2013, 01:52 AM
Be interested to see some screen shots off your system.

here's star wars on my 1080x1920 vertical monitor (I have a 3 monitor setup for my main desktop: 1920x1080, 1600x1200, and 1080x1920):

http://i46.tinypic.com/2eelrp0.jpg
bloom, reflections, and transparencies never show effectively in a static shot but even then, it's still able to be shown in the screen caps. there's no way that the console version is "better by a lot" over the PC version. The controls are the same (using an Xbox 360 controller on the PC), the framerate is the same (60 fps).

here's star wars on the Xbox 360 (I captured it myself):
http://i47.tinypic.com/30ms2vk.jpg
this is the closest camera angle on the 360 to my preferred view on the PC

anyway, this talk is way off-topic. I'm excited about The Pinball Arcade because it has the tables I played with as a kid. As much as I like Pinball FX2 (and I have quite a few tables on the 360 and now the PC), I like the old tables more. I think the design of pinball is better. Don't want to turn this into a TPA vs Pinball FX2 argument either but if I had to pick one, I'd pick TPA for its classic tables.

seattlemark
03-03-2013, 10:12 AM
A couple of issues that are happening with the current Zen Studios Pinball FX2 implementation on Windows 8, which I hope that FarSight can avoid with TPA when FarSight goes on Win 8.
#1). In Win 8 version, there are no demos/trials of non-purchased PBFX2 tables (other than the free Mars table that comes with the base download of the game).
#2). In Win 8 version, you must have an internet connection to get to your profile in "XBOX Games" before you can start up any but the free Mars PBFX2 table. If no internet connection, the tables that you have already purchased become limited time trials until you can get back to the internet.

When I inquired about the internet connection issue of #2 above, three weeks ago I learned from a Zen Studios employee in their forum that this issue is being worked on but they did not know yet when Win 8 users would have the ability to play offline. Some other Zen forum members said that it has something to do with DRM and may involve Microsoft too. This issue, I was told by the Zen forum users, is not happening with the XB0X 360 console. So ironically an XBOX 360 console (that tends to be stationary in the home) does NOT require the internet connection to play PBFX2, while a portable Windows 8 tablet (which often leaves the home) DOES require the Internet to play PBFX2. (And not everyone has a data plan for use outside the home on their tablets, and not everyone is near a wireless hotspot outside the home.)

Regarding the issue #1 involving lack of PBFX2 demos before purchase, I have heard from other forum users that it's also specific to the Win 8 implementation and also may have to do with the DRM on this Zen Studios game. The demos are a fantastic part of FarSight's TPA and helps with purchase decisions, and I sincerely hope demos can remain when TPA goes to Win 8.

On the plus side, Pinball FX2 provides the ability to use an XBOX 360 controller in its Windows 8 implementation (in addition to keyboard and touch window). As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, the ability to use an XBOX360 controller is a huge benefit to Win 8 desktop users of PBFX2 under Win8, and I hope Farsight can do the same with The Pinball Arcade under Windows 8.

Nik Barbour
03-03-2013, 10:46 AM
here's star wars on my 1080x1920 vertical monitor

I've got to concede it looks great on your rig.

That probably means TPA win 8 will be a no go for me also then (stoopid Nvidea piece of cr@p).

Ho hum - I'm happy Nexus 7'ing. :D

seattlemark
03-03-2013, 10:58 AM
I've got to concede it looks great on your rig. ... stoopid Nvidea ....

Like dirtyvu, I am using an AMD/ATI graphics adapter. My picture with that setup with Pinball FX2 is excellent using my desktop PC, when connected via HDMI to either my monitor or to my TV. That, plus I really hope XBOX 360 Controller support, are reasons that I can't wait for TPA on Win 8. (I would have been happy with Win 7 for either game too since I am running Win 8 in a Virtual Machine on a Win 7 desktop PC, with pinball my inspiration for even trying Windows 8 for the first time.)

superballs
03-03-2013, 12:11 PM
here's star wars on my 1080x1920 vertical monitor (I have a 3 monitor setup for my main desktop: 1920x1080, 1600x1200, and 1080x1920):

http://i46.tinypic.com/2eelrp0.jpg
bloom, reflections, and transparencies never show effectively in a static shot but even then, it's still able to be shown in the screen caps. there's no way that the console version is "better by a lot" over the PC version. The controls are the same (using an Xbox 360 controller on the PC), the framerate is the same (60 fps).

here's star wars on the Xbox 360 (I captured it myself):
http://i47.tinypic.com/30ms2vk.jpg
this is the closest camera angle on the 360 to my preferred view on the PC

anyway, this talk is way off-topic. I'm excited about The Pinball Arcade because it has the tables I played with as a kid. As much as I like Pinball FX2 (and I have quite a few tables on the 360 and now the PC), I like the old tables more. I think the design of pinball is better. Don't want to turn this into a TPA vs Pinball FX2 argument either but if I had to pick one, I'd pick TPA for its classic tables.

I'm quite impressed. I'm more onterested in how it will all run on my now quite modest laptop.

Nik Barbour
03-03-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm quite impressed. I'm more onterested in how it will all run on my now quite modest laptop.

I don't want to jinx you - but I think mine's a write off.
Zen win8 sucks on Nvidia.
Glass half full - TPA might be wonderful.

superballs
03-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Mines a 2ghz core2 duo with an ati radeon hd2600 pro mobile. No slouch in its time but it's time is not now.

dirtyvu
03-03-2013, 04:35 PM
#2). In Win 8 version, you must have an internet connection to get to your profile in "XBOX Games" before you can start up any but the free Mars PBFX2 table. If no internet connection, the tables that you have already purchased become limited time trials until you can get back to the internet.

yeah, there's no reason Pinball FX2 should require an Internet connection. there are many Windows Store games that do not require an Internet connection so this must be the DRM implementation that Zen Studios wanted or chose. hopefully they fix it.

also agree about the inability to try out the tables in the Windows 8 version. this doesn't make sense. practically all the Windows Store apps have trial modes. heck, I know a lot of people that get by with the trial mode for many apps (as Windows 8 is very lenient and practically lets you use the trial mode indefinitely so it's almost more of a shareware "honor system" than a true trial mode).

seattlemark
03-03-2013, 06:49 PM
yeah, there's no reason Pinball FX2 should require an Internet connection. there are many Windows Store games that do not require an Internet connection so this must be the DRM implementation that Zen Studios wanted or chose. hopefully they fix it.

also agree about the inability to try out the tables in the Windows 8 version. this doesn't make sense. practically all the Windows Store apps have trial modes....

I just hope that FarSight Studios doesn't wind up with the same two problems.
Here are what a couple of Zen Studios forum members had said last month, after I initially asked if I had a bug or not with Pinball FX2 under Windows 8:

Person 1's response to me: Yes, you need an internet connection to play purchased tables. It's not a bug; it's a huge design flaw. Though I could not say if Zen Studios or Microsoft is to blame.

Person 2's response to Person 1: It's kinda of both. When the game was in development, MS only had that DRM option available. After the game released, MS decided to lift their DRM policy on games. Zen is working on a fix, but I don't know when it will release.

Person 1's response to me: Likewise, the free "trial game" option is only available after purchasing the table, which makes it completely useless. That one is probably Zen's fault.

Person 2's response to Person 1: Nope! This is Microsoft's fault. The feature is available in Zen's other platforms as well, but currently Windows 8 doesn't support it.

dirtyvu
03-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I just hope that FarSight Studios doesn't wind up with the same two problems.
Here are what a couple of Zen Studios forum members had said last month, after I initially asked if I had a bug or not with Pinball FX2 under Windows 8:

Person 1's response to me: Yes, you need an internet connection to play purchased tables. It's not a bug; it's a huge design flaw. Though I could not say if Zen Studios or Microsoft is to blame.

Person 2's response to Person 1: It's kinda of both. When the game was in development, MS only had that DRM option available. After the game released, MS decided to lift their DRM policy on games. Zen is working on a fix, but I don't know when it will release.

Person 1's response to me: Likewise, the free "trial game" option is only available after purchasing the table, which makes it completely useless. That one is probably Zen's fault.

Person 2's response to Person 1: Nope! This is Microsoft's fault. The feature is available in Zen's other platforms as well, but currently Windows 8 doesn't support it.

honestly, I read that and it seems that neither has a clue and both are just conjectures. all you can go by is what you see with your own 2 eyes. there are plenty of Windows Store games that don't require an Internet connection (I have yet to run into one that does need it). So you can make your own judgment on what happened. Also, other games have true trial modes so I don't understand why Pinball FX2 doesn't. Both problems are correctable and if Zen doesn't correct them, they'll lose a lot of sales.

I see tons of apps, even free ones, get updated constantly. Heck, I have the Star Wars Almanac app and that's completely free (created by a fan), and it's updated so often, it's insane. No commercial app gets updated as much as this free one.

Sean DonCarlos
03-04-2013, 05:21 AM
On the plus side, Pinball FX2 provides the ability to use an XBOX 360 controller in its Windows 8 implementation (in addition to keyboard and touch window). As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, the ability to use an XBOX360 controller is a huge benefit to Win 8 desktop users of PBFX2 under Win8, and I hope Farsight can do the same with The Pinball Arcade under Windows 8.
I've not seen or otherwise been involved in the forthcoming Windows 8 version of TPA, but the PC beta for Twilight Zone that I tested a while back (on Windows 7) had 360 controller support.

dirtyvu
03-06-2013, 01:17 PM
I don't want to jinx you - but I think mine's a write off.
Zen win8 sucks on Nvidia.
Glass half full - TPA might be wonderful.

if you don't like the situation, you need to let Nvidia hear about it. pinball fans are a small group but they can be vocal like other groups. Tomb Raider is really terrible with Nvidia cards right now and their fans are in an uproar. And it's reached all the mainstream gaming sites. Nvidia immediately responded and said they're working feverishly to fix the problems. Yet nobody is publicizing how Pinball FX2 is buggy with Nvidia because the fanbase is too small or not vocal enough.

Nik Barbour
03-06-2013, 01:39 PM
if you don't like the situation, you need to let Nvidia hear about it.

Thanks but.... - I'm happy with Android for my Pinball and MAME gaming fixes.
I was just 'new laptop' curious really.

shutyertrap
03-06-2013, 03:12 PM
if you don't like the situation, you need to let Nvidia hear about it. pinball fans are a small group but they can be vocal like other groups. Tomb Raider is really terrible with Nvidia cards right now and their fans are in an uproar. And it's reached all the mainstream gaming sites. Nvidia immediately responded and said they're working feverishly to fix the problems. Yet nobody is publicizing how Pinball FX2 is buggy with Nvidia because the fanbase is too small or not vocal enough.

I'm playing Tomb Raider right now with an Nvidia card and it looks great! My processor isn't powerful enough to handle the graphix cranked up on hair (literally benchmarked at 19 fps with hair on, 65 with hair off!) and what I heard was the tessellation is what Nvidia cards are having issues with (but again, my system can't handle that anyways).

I do know that with Zen, I can't run Pinball FX2 in high res, it just crashes.

esp2000
03-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Can't wait to buy this on the Windows 8 marketplace. I just wish that they had cross platform support on the stores between the Windows 8 store and the Windows Phone 8 store. That would be great.

dirtyvu
03-07-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm playing Tomb Raider right now with an Nvidia card and it looks great! My processor isn't powerful enough to handle the graphix cranked up on hair (literally benchmarked at 19 fps with hair on, 65 with hair off!) and what I heard was the tessellation is what Nvidia cards are having issues with (but again, my system can't handle that anyways).

I do know that with Zen, I can't run Pinball FX2 in high res, it just crashes.

yeah, that's the joy of trying to program software for so many different PC configurations. programmers make their games based on their development PCs and the hardware and drivers that they have on-hand. they program to the high level API and depend on ATI, Nvidia, Intel, etc. to implement those API calls correctly.

superballs
03-07-2013, 12:56 PM
yeah, that's the joy of trying to program software for so many different PC configurations. programmers make their games based on their development PCs and the hardware and drivers that they have on-hand. they program to the high level API and depend on ATI, Nvidia, Intel, etc. to implement those API calls correctly.

Sounds more like "that's the problem with hardware manufacturers not implementing standard apis correctly"

The whole point of having a standardized API like DX is to prevent this very thing. Sad thing is that Microsoft and Windows tend to get most of the blame on the basis that Windows98 was an unstable piece of junk.

dirtyvu
03-07-2013, 01:39 PM
that's the thing with drivers. these graphics card companies are in an arms race and release video cards so quickly. and it takes a few revisions before a solid driver comes out with the card. but then they can make changes which break things in previous driver revisions. and before they get it fully right, they're on to the next generation of graphics cards.

yes, the point of standard APIs is to make programming easier. you write that you want to add 1+1 to DirectX (just a concepts example). your Nvidia/ATI card has to take that instruction and make a calculation from it. so it's like the English guy is sending a message to the translator and that translator delivers the exact same message to a pair of Spanish guys. and each Spanish guy can interpret and execute that exact same message differently and produce a slightly different result. So it's up to getting each Spanish guy to handle the message in exactly the same way. and that's the role of AMD/ATI or Nvidia. getting their graphics card to produce the correct result.

right now, the great programmers have to take into account the unique characteristics of each card to avoid each card's "problems" even though standard APIs are supposed to solve that problem. if you have an ATI card, follow this path. if you have an Nvidia card, follow this path. that's the allure of consoles and mobile devices. very limited sets of hardware that you know all the faults that can be avoided.

esp2000
03-18-2013, 09:27 AM
I think this is great news! I hope that in this TPA on Win8 they enable XBOX Controllers (like Pinball FX2 supports under Win8). Flipperwise, I find it much easier to use the triggers on the XBOX controller when I play Pinball FX2 on my Windows 8 desktop PC, than using my Kindle Fire tablet's glass for the flippers buttons in TBA. Same is true for the nudge. As far as the picture, I use my monitor (and sometimes my TV) with the Fire on TPA and with the Win8 PC on PBFX2. Although I think the picture from Windows 8 with PBFX2 is benefiting because my graphics adapter on my desktop PC is a lot more powerful than on my Fire.

I really hope they have the Xbox 360 controller support as well. I bought a controller this weekend for plaing PFX2 while I hooked my laptop up to my TV through the HDMI output and it was great. If this is done this way then I will be buying all of the tables again for sure.

grunger106
03-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Looking forward to this - Surface RT ready......

iCub
03-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Mines a 2ghz core2 duo with an ati radeon hd2600 pro mobile. No slouch in its time but it's time is not now.

I have Pinball FX2 running on just such a laptop as well as on an Intel Series 4 gfx laptop. Both work fine at 1280x800 provided you enable the lower quality graphics mode. This cuts out features like ball reflections, advanced lighting, transparencies etc (On Mars, the table walls are solid like the original ZP rather than the transparent versions on ZP2).

In response to Nik Barbour, Pinball FX2 on Win8 is actually visually superior to the PS3 version. I did a side by side comparison of the Mars table in High Quality Mode on my desktop and there was a noticable difference in texture quality on the Mars table (see background starfield) not to mention the boost in resolution. Transparencies are a weakness on the PS3 and so the sides of the Mars table look blocky compared to the Win8 version too.

Where I did sense a difference, and this is entirely subjective, is the physics, that seems ever so slightly dulled on the Win8 release.

Zen have also confirmed that they are in talks with Steam about getting a Win7 verison on there in the near future. They have said that it will have more advance graphical options to take better advantage of powerful PCs along with universal scoreboards and steam integration.

dirtyvu
03-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Where I did sense a difference, and this is entirely subjective, is the physics, that seems ever so slightly dulled on the Win8 release.

I've never thought physics has ever been a strong point of Pinball FX2/Zen Pinball 2. The game is cool and all. But it doesn't feel like pinball. It's way too easy to do things like trap the ball. The ball movement is way too predictable and controllable in the video pinball. The game is actually much easier than real pinball.

I don't have the same tables between the PC and the Xbox because I don't like to repeat-buy so i can't do a direct comparison (well, I guess I could go off of demos) but they don't seem different at all. Using the exact same controller on both (just resync it to the PC and then back to the 360).

Robert Hunt
04-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Why is this forum so dead? Where is TPA for the Surface RT? I just talked my pops into ditching his Nexus 10 for a Surface RT tablet, and now he wants to know why the only pinball he sees in the store is Pinball FX2! (Okay maybe it's me that wants to know.)

And before anybody tells me I was crazy for suggesting he make that switch (or that he was crazy for listening to me) save your breath. The Nexus 10 is an amazing achievement (and will clearly render TPA better) but the Surface is in an altogether different league when it comes to both web surfing and basic productivity tasks. People who knock it simply don't know it.

shutyertrap
04-04-2013, 05:24 PM
I'd say the this thread in the forum is dead because there's nothing to really talk about yet!

dirtyvu
04-08-2013, 09:16 PM
yeah, FarSight has so much on their plate and they're struggling to get things done. so many platforms, so much left undone...

Biff
04-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Forget about the Windows 8 Marketplace, TPA is greenlit. ;)

tpa win8 version is only interesting for ppl with mobile devices.

KingNeptune
04-19-2013, 03:53 AM
Not true... definitely use win8pro on my desktop gaming rig and prefer not to install steam just for this. Win8 on all my desktop PC's in fact, not just my phones (wp8), tablets(rt & pro) and laptops (pro)
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Biff
04-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Well that's up to you, if you want to use Steam or not.
But, as far as I know, the upcoming win8 marketplace version will be a light version for mobile
devices. That means. reduced graphics, lighting, physics ...
The real, advanced PC version will come out on Steam only.

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

kimkom
04-21-2013, 12:02 AM
But, as far as I know, the upcoming win8 marketplace version will be a light version for mobile

Interesting. Where did you get that information?

Biff
04-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Well in the first audio interview. Bobby just calls it a Windows 8 app. To me, "app" doesn't sound like a full PC game.
But of course, I could be wrong.

More importantly, they wrote this in the Newsletter 12.5:

Our 2013 plans include:

Releasing Pinball Arcade on Wii-U, OUYA, as a Windows 8 app for desktop and Surface tablets, and as a PC game with cabinet support

we are submitting our game to Microsoft for inclusion in the Windows 8 Marketplace. This version will be playable on all devices and desktops running Windows 8 (including Surface tablets and phones).

Playable on all devices... sounds like a light version ...

(maybe worth the mention, the mac version on the apple store is also just a light version)

Frostyglitch
04-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Well in the first audio interview. Bobby just calls it a Windows 8 app. To me, "app" doesn't sound like a full PC game.
But of course, I could be wrong.

More importantly, they wrote this in the Newsletter 12.5:

Playable on all devices... sounds like a light version ...

(maybe worth the mention, the mac version on the apple store is also just a light version)

I'll go ahead and stop you there. Windows 8 has "apps" now because it's also made for Microsoft surfaces. These are full applications that are simply "Metro" friendly and are available directly from the Windows Store making them easier to install on a surface. They don't suffer in any way due to this convenience unless the developer chooses to make it so. Zen Pinball came out with a Metro version of their game at the launch of Windows 8, and it arguably looks better than it has on any other platform to date.

What you're thinking of is a "port". If Farsight chooses to make the Windows Phone the lead platform and doesn't scale it up for desktop GPU's..then yes the game may suffer in quality. However this is totally up to Farsight. On the Mac they chose to do a lazy port and didn't take full advantage of the desktop hardware. Point being this is a choice, not a requirement.

Sidenote: Farsight...what's the hold up on this platform?

dirtyvu
04-22-2013, 09:26 PM

Biff, this is a completely idiotic post with no merit. at least have some facts before making a post like this. it just comes off as completely fanboyish. only fanboys have to make up stuff to get people to get the Steam version.

karl
04-23-2013, 12:37 AM
dirtyvu. I agree with you that Biff's post is probably pure speculation and wrong also.

In his defense, he did say "correct me if I'm wrong."

PS! Man, do I wish the moderators would just ban the word "Fanboy" from this forum. Drives me bonkers every time I see it.

PiN WiZ
04-23-2013, 01:05 AM
PS! Man, do I wish the moderators would just ban the word "Fanboy" from this forum. Drives me bonkers every time I see it.

I've already been thinking about this and will be going over this very subject with Gord, Jeff and Sean. I'm getting really tired of seeing posts where certain members are name calling, whether it be directed towards a specific member, group of members or in generalization. Let this be a warning that we will be cracking down on this sort of behavior as it has no place on this forum.

Sean DonCarlos
04-23-2013, 05:38 AM
Biff, this is a completely idiotic post with no merit. at least have some facts before making a post like this. it just comes off as completely fanboyish. only fanboys have to make up stuff to get people to get the Steam version.
Perhaps all these things are true, but even if they are, that still does not give you the right to start attacking him. Speculation, even probably-incorrect speculation, is allowed here. Otherwise, some of the forum sections would be very sparse indeed. We have special threads and areas dedicated to presenting only solid "official" information; Pin Wiz does a fine job of maintaining these areas. In other areas, members must expect to find speculation and opinion, and to make up their own minds about what they read.

If you really think a post is harmful and should be removed or otherwise dealt with, there's a Report Post button for this very reason; please use it.

I've already been thinking about this and will be going over this very subject with Gord, Jeff and Sean. I'm getting really tired of seeing posts where certain members are name calling, whether it be directed towards a specific member, group of members or in generalization. Let this be a warning that we will be cracking down on this sort of behavior as it has no place on this forum.
Agreed, the invaders are getting out of hand again.

Biff
04-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Biff, this is a completely idiotic post with no merit.
I'm just speculating, bro. ;)

at least have some facts before making a post like this.
We're on page 4. I have posted the newsletter before on page 2.

only fanboys have to make up stuff to get people to get the Steam version.
The funny thing is, I told Farsight 3 or 4 times in another thread, that they should talk to EA to release their game on Origin ...
I ain't happy with a couple of decisions that Valve, Microsoft and EA take, but I still use their products ...

I'll go ahead and stop you there....
Aye, thanks for clarifying. I still have win7. Don't know much about win8. But win8 is also a operating system for mobile devices, right?
So I thought, they use the store to make their game available to all the customers who have a mobile device that runs win8.

This is from the newsletter: "This version will be playable on all devices and desktops".
This includes phones. Guys, we're talking about phones. Have you ever seen a full PC Game on a phone or weak tablet (not saying that all win8 tablets are weak)?
I don't think customers with mobile devices have to go through all the settings and have to lower the quality to make
it playable on their device. As I mentioned on page 2, maybe they release two versions on the store. Like they do it on the PSN (Vita & PS3).
But the one version that they submitted to MS so far, seems to be a light version.

grunger106
04-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Just wondering if there was a timescale on this? My RT is great, and I'm getting by with FX2, but I prefer real tables......

Frostyglitch
04-23-2013, 04:25 PM

Aye, thanks for clarifying. I still have win7. Don't know much about win8. But win8 is also a operating system for mobile devices, right?
So I thought, they use the store to make their game available to all the customers who have a mobile device that runs win8.

This is from the newsletter: "This version will be playable on all devices and desktops".
This includes phones. Guys, we're talking about phones. Have you ever seen a full PC Game on a phone or weak tablet (not saying that all win8 tablets are weak)?
I don't think customers with mobile devices have to go through all the settings and have to lower the quality to make
it playable on their device. As I mentioned on page 2, maybe they release two versions on the store. Like they do it on the PSN (Vita & PS3).
But the one version that they submitted to MS so far, seems to be a light version.

Glad to help out where I can. I frequent the Google plus page more than here these days, as I'm a contributor there.

Like I said before, I was quite blown by how great Zen looks in 1080p and it shares the Windows marketplace with phones/tablets. So yeah, I have no reason to believe that things will be any different for the Pinball Arcade. It's quite possible they may leave out anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing, as that's what Farsight did on the Mac. I understand Zen is looking to join the ranks of Steam as well, so we'll see if it looks any better for them. I discovered a benefit today that may sway a few people to decide to buy through the Windows Store if they already have Win8. With Steam you can only have one instance of your account up at any given time, this isn't the case with Windows store games. So my wife can be playing pinball games on the laptop, at the same time I can login to that account and play the same tables from my desktop.

I'm not biased or anything though by any stretch. I currently own nearly 300 games on Steam. I'll likely end up buying all the tables from both marketplaces and report my results for everyone.

dirtyvu
04-23-2013, 06:44 PM

No. Phones are Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 7.5, and Windows Phone 8.

Windows 8 is Windows 8 for laptops, desktops, and tablets. completely different operating systems and completely unrelated. The marketplace for Windows Phone is not the same as the marketplace for Windows 8/RT.

In fact, you have to purchase whatever software twice if you want to buy them in both marketplaces and they are incompatible with each other since they're designed for different architectures.

KingNeptune
04-24-2013, 01:54 AM
Windows Phone 8, windows RT, and windows 8 pro are all based on the same core OS. (you're next xbox!) As a developer native c++ or .net code can be reused across all 3 with only minor consideration for screen real estate, inputs/controls etc that vary between device form factors. Performance scalability is required even if you write for just one major hardware category such as desktop PC due to the vast variations in capabilities.

The store is still different between windows phone and rt/pro, but the platform merge continues...
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

dirtyvu
04-24-2013, 04:50 PM
yes, the same core. but that doesn't mean cross-compatibility. you can reuse some code but you still have to program for the platform in question.

there's rumors that in the future, it will be a phone that runs windows 8, and that windows phone 8 as an operating system will go away but that's still quite a bit away and may never happen if the windows phone team has anything to say about it (just for the fact that mobile hardware is not powerful enough.

grunger106
06-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Been a long time with no update....
Any news on the Win8 release?

mkulczyc
07-16-2013, 06:20 AM
I'd definitely buy the Windows 8 version of Pinball Arcade!

MontanaFrank
07-30-2013, 10:07 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has any information on what is going to happen with Windows 8 and TPA. I would rather buy from Microsoft than setting up another account for Steam.

I just got a new Win 8 computer and really love the interface. Very easy for me to learn - though I've wished all my life to live in the George Jetson era where you push buttons to get things done and this is pretty close.

Pinballwiz45b
07-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Be prepared for iOS-like graphics for the Windows 8-only version. Steam will support Windows 8 and have nice graphics, with soon-to-be PS4-like.

gooche77
07-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Until your car can fold into a suitcase, we're nowhere near the Jetsons. :)

Jeff Strong
07-30-2013, 10:41 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has any information on what is going to happen with Windows 8 and TPA. I would rather buy from Microsoft than setting up another account for Steam.

I just got a new Win 8 computer and really love the interface. Very easy for me to learn - though I've wished all my life to live in the George Jetson era where you push buttons to get things done and this is pretty close.

Here's what Mike said in the PC beta thread:

We still plan to do a Win 8 version separate from steam. That will be sold through the win 8 store. It'll be compatible with win 8 tablets as well. I believe it was put on hold for other platforms and Steam. We feel Steam will be a bigger market (reaches Win XP to Win 8).

Also the Win 8 version we have done is for tablets, using mobile assets. So on a high end Win 8 PC it wouldn't look as good, so we didn't feel it was ready to release.

MontanaFrank
07-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Be prepared for iOS-like graphics for the Windows 8-only version. Steam will support Windows 8 and have nice graphics, with soon-to-be PS4-like.

If that is the correct, then of course I will go for the Steam version. A human can hope though for a high quality Win 8 version.

Until your car can fold into a suitcase, we're nowhere near the Jetsons. :)

As long as I can push buttons for joy and also able get things done, I am happy. The only other Jetson's item I want is a Rosie the Robot and that's not far away. :D

Thanks Jeff for the update. At least one way or the other we'll have TPA on the computer - Yippe-Yahoo-

grunger106
07-31-2013, 11:01 AM
So will the Win8 store version be released shortly after the steam one?
As in is it finished and just being held?

I want the steam one for my Cab, but I have a WinRT tablet which is dying for some proper pinball action!
(Then I can retire my HTC flyer whose sole purpose is TPA these days)

scstraus
08-06-2013, 10:31 AM
It's been 6 months, do we have any idea of an ETA? The wait is killing me!!

grunger106
08-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Yep me too... Hopefully it will come shortly after the steam release?

grunger106
08-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Just got the Beta running on Steam, looking good.

How about a 'beta' of the Windows RT release? My Surface RT needs TPA!

Larry
10-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Bump!

Surface needs TPA!
Windows 8 phones need TPA!
My Windows 8 PC needs TPA!

If only the mages and sages and Farsight would only deem it so!

Steam version can come first, I'll wait, but I sincerely believe there is enough market share that it should be considered a viable dev branch at some point. I'd certainly argue it's got better legs to stand on than a 3ds version (no offense) and would allow for native DX11 move over to Xbox 1 and 360 if that mess ever gets sorted out.

In my perfect world, Steam would support some higher end options but would essentially be based in DX9 with options for 11 but Win8 would be DX11 with extra bells and whistles (better than PS4 lighting and 3d support SUPPOSEDLY for example) from the ground up. I understand this appears backwards from their current approach but with the horsepower at their disposal and the mindset of the average win8 user, I think they're missing the boat if it doesn't look top notch. Most games that I've played for any length of time design their engines around the maximum capacity of the platforms at the time then give options to dumb down things to allow for performance (Battlefield, Crysis engine, etc). This gives their existing code the greatest longevity with the least maintenance. If people aren't too happy now with some of the art imperfections, it will only get worse as the 4k and 3d helmets get rolling. I'm not saying both versions shouldn't be awesome in the "final version" but with Win8 giving you a reliable set of pretty nice minimums to program for, it seems backwards to me to offer a "more polished version" to the "general masses" than a controlled set of industry current users who have demonstrated a willingness to spend money.

Just a thought since they are going to really drop the prices of Win8 platforms as MS makes a stab at getting some market back and I'm pretty sure we'll see the old marketplace show up in Win9 and beyond.

grunger106
10-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Bump!

Surface needs TPA!
Windows 8 phones need TPA!
My Windows 8 PC needs TPA!

If only the mages and sages and Farsight would only deem it so!

Steam version can come first, I'll wait, but I sincerely believe there is enough market share that it should be considered a viable dev branch at some point. I'd certainly argue it's got better legs to stand on than a 3ds version (no offense) and would allow for native DX11 move over to Xbox 1 and 360 if that mess ever gets sorted out.

In my perfect world, Steam would support some higher end options but would essentially be based in DX9 with options for 11 but Win8 would be DX11 with extra bells and whistles (better than PS4 lighting and 3d support SUPPOSEDLY for example) from the ground up. I understand this appears backwards from their current approach but with the horsepower at their disposal and the mindset of the average win8 user, I think they're missing the boat if it doesn't look top notch. Most games that I've played for any length of time design their engines around the maximum capacity of the platforms at the time then give options to dumb down things to allow for performance (Battlefield, Crysis engine, etc). This gives their existing code the greatest longevity with the least maintenance. If people aren't too happy now with some of the art imperfections, it will only get worse as the 4k and 3d helmets get rolling. I'm not saying both versions shouldn't be awesome in the "final version" but with Win8 giving you a reliable set of pretty nice minimums to program for, it seems backwards to me to offer a "more polished version" to the "general masses" than a controlled set of industry current users who have demonstrated a willingness to spend money.

Just a thought since they are going to really drop the prices of Win8 platforms as MS makes a stab at getting some market back and I'm pretty sure we'll see the old marketplace show up in Win9 and beyond.

Exactly - I want (and have the beta) steam version for my cab, but I have a WP8 and a Surface, so would really want the W8 version too!

Zaphod77
10-11-2013, 11:23 AM
The windows 8 app version will have cut down graphics, so it runs on more hardware (aka. surface RT). they did the same thing with the windows 8 version of pinball fx 2. Steam version will look a LOT better.

grunger106
10-13-2013, 08:22 AM
The windows 8 app version will have cut down graphics, so it runs on more hardware (aka. surface RT). they did the same thing with the windows 8 version of pinball fx 2. Steam version will look a LOT better.

Sure it will - that's fine. If you have a desktop the steam version is the way to go, but the Win8/RT version is still wanted for the tablets and WP8...
Hope for some news soon....

grunger106
10-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Well Win8.1 is just out, so hopefully this will be submitted soon.....

Metalzoic
04-10-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm confused. Why does everyone keep calling it the Steam version? Steam is just a digital marketplace for PC games so isn't it actually the PC version (for Windows 8)?
And you keep referring to the tablet/rt version as the Win 8 version, but isn't that actually just the tablet/RT version?

So for example if I have a Surface Pro 2 I would want the higher end PC version. right?

EDIT: I just noticed the dates in this thread. I'm guessing the PC version is pretty much vaporware at this point?

shutyertrap
04-10-2014, 10:54 PM
I'm confused. Why does everyone keep calling it the Steam version? Steam is just a digital marketplace for PC games so isn't it actually the PC version (for Windows 8)?
And you keep referring to the tablet/rt version as the Win 8 version, but isn't that actually just the tablet/RT version?

So for example if I have a Surface Pro 2 I would want the higher end PC version. right?

EDIT: I just noticed the dates in this thread. I'm guessing the PC version is pretty much vaporware at this point?

People call it the Steam version because that is exactly what it is. It is the version available on Steam. People also understand if referring to it as the PC version, it is the same thing. It would be playable on Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8 depending on what hardware you have installed.

The Windows 8 version, that is something different. There are mobile phones and tablets (I think) that run not on Android or iOS, but Windows 8. I'm not talking about Surface Pro, as that can run Steam. Windows 8 Marketplace is an app store, and TPA is not currently an app for that platform.

So no, the PC version is not vaporware, as it is very much alive and running today. It was put out through Steam because of the built in DRM, which was required by the licensees FS works with. Think of the Windows 8 version, that currently does not and probably will not exist, as another mobile version similar to Android and iOS.

Metalzoic
04-11-2014, 07:12 AM
OK, that's what I figured, thanks.

Sean DonCarlos
04-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Steam is not just for PCs, either. There is a Steam for Mac as well, and TPA is in there.

EldarOfSuburbia
04-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Steam is not just for PCs, either. There is a Steam for Mac as well, and TPA is in there.

The Steam version is afaik the only version where your tables are shared between 'platforms', in that you can play tables bought through Steam on both PC and Mac versions of the Steam download. This is because the 'platform' is Steam, and not the OS that the game is actually running on. I've verified this, although TPA plays like a dog on my wife's MacBook.

superballs
04-11-2014, 09:33 AM

Saying a Mac isn't a PC would be like saying a Linux based PC isn't a PC so essentially the Steam version really is a PC version no matter how you slice it.

Sean DonCarlos
04-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Saying a Mac isn't a PC would be like saying a Linux based PC isn't a PC so essentially the Steam version really is a PC version no matter how you slice it.
Technically, yes, but I've yet to encounter anyone who would refer to a Mac as a "PC" in casual conversation.

superballs
04-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Technically, yes, but I've yet to encounter anyone who would refer to a Mac as a "PC" in casual conversation.

I'm usually a lot less nice to people in person on this topic than one would think I am based on how much of a gentleman I am here Mr. Sean :)

Biff
04-17-2014, 11:36 AM
I don't like it when people say "available for PC and Linux".
Although Linux is just kernel, you can still say "available for Windows and Linux". :)