Thread: Original designs still the best!

My Devices
    Wii U, xbox 360, Steam/PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Original designs still the best!

I couldn't find an existing thread to bring this up, so creating a new one just to see if anyone else thinks this way about Zen/FX2.

All the tables are fun, but...

I may be the only person saying this, the tables that are truly GREAT in my opinion are the original designs. The ones I tire less of playing even over the years. Rome, Tesla, Secrets of the Deep, Epic Quest, Wild West. The list could go on. I understand that licensed tables do seem to generate alot of hype, and keep the game alive and well. But I really miss new, original, concept to completion work the Zen designers USED to do.

Just like the real deal, and TPA, licenses have a place. But the themed, original designed Zen Studios tables still can't be beat.

My Devices
    iPad, J.A.D. on the scoreboard
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting opinion and topic. I read it yesterday and itís been rolling around argumentatively in my head. Hereís what I come away with: Aesthetically, I want to agree with you, and I'm pretty sure I do.

Of the ďoriginal conceptĒ tables, the only ones I have owned for a long time are Sorcererís Lair and Tesla; altho I recently figured out that that Zen's unlicensed games are only 99Ę Ė iOS player here Ė so I went on a mini shopping spree the past two weeks and picked up Wild West and Epic Quest, and I bought Earth Defense tonight. When you first play them there is a sensation like watching a movie or reading a book for the first time, knowing nothing about them other than the obvious theme and setting. There is a pure sense of mystery and discovery and it's awesome!

But can I say that I completely prefer them over the licensed tables? Itís a characteristic of the Zen tables that I canít really get the most out of the experience until I skim the ShoyukenToTheChin table guides; so, in that regard, the licensed tables are equally confounding and mysterious. I know who Captain America is but for the life of me I canít figure out how to get ahold of Red Skull and beat the crap out of him without reading the guide!

I enjoyed most of the licensed tables Iíve played, and I admit Iíve gravitated to those tied-in to characters Iím familiar with. But would I dislike the Doctor Strange table if I wasnít familiar with those characters? For example, I bought Blade a few days ago and Iíve never seen the movie and (somehow) missed the issues of Tomb Of Dracula he appeared in when I was a kid, but thatís a great game of pinball! Outside of the Dracula/Vampire motif I donít know what the heckís going on. So it's clear to me that the gameplay can make the experience worthwhile on its own.

I do hope they make more original concept tables, though. As I mentioned above, there is an aesthetic quality to a work of art that stands on its own, and for that reason I tend to take a stronger liking to the original concept works, or at least greet them with a greater allowance of leeway because of their untethered dignity. (Even TPAís Dr. Dude and Goiní Nuts got a hearty welcome from me while I listened to others pine loudly for Adamís Family... well, maybe not Dr. Dude.)

Itís simply cooler if the story, the theme, the art, the characters, and gameplay all come together to create something joyful that does not exploit a lousy cartoon show or the looming shadow of Darth Vader to compel us to pay for it.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for chiming in! Great points Jeffery!

I think the reason I brought this up is the licensed stuff seems to be what that game is all about these days. Like I said, they are all fun. But if I were to look at all the time I spend playing the game (which is too much lol), the majority is spent on Zen's original designs. They have a slightly different quality to them, which to me is more fun, knowing the concept/story of them is not something that was done as a "translation" into a pinball game. They are more about pinball, so to speak. I can say the same for the real tables that Farsight has done. I usually play Voltaire or Theatre two or three times as often as I choose, say, T2 or Star Trek lol
    Last edited by steven120566; 07-29-2016 at 03:49 AM.

My Devices
    iOS, PSN
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the originals as well, maybe slightly better but it's hard to say that because I pretty much love their taste in licensing partners. South Park, aliens, Star Wars, walking dead, archer, bobs burgers, portal - all things I was already into before the tables. Marvel I was aware of but am appreciating the story franchise as a whole more now.

Next tables are going to be a two pack "marvel woman of power" released in the fall. And then the next two original tables are themed as Ancient Greek mythology and an amusement park.

I am guessing a rougue one table is in the works as well.

My Devices
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DA5ID View Post
    Next tables are going to be a two pack "marvel woman of power" released in the fall. And then the next two original tables are themed as Ancient Greek mythology and an amusement park.
    Interesting. On their forum the community director eluded to new originals, but no deets. Those both sound pretty cool to me!

My Devices
    iOS, PSN
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steven120566 View Post
    Interesting. On their forum the community director eluded to new originals, but no deets. Those both sound pretty cool to me!
    The new originals were announced in JUNE 2015! but they have been busy releasing tables to coincide with special dates _ new Star Wars movie, aliens anniversary, women of power marvel campaign etc. they also been busy with other properties, castlestorm and zen VR, the independence day mobile game, hopefully the new planet mini golf.

I guess it's ok that the new table releases are being stretched out to prevent burnout (us and them). But it is starting to feel like a dry spell with the last tables released in April and the next women of power tables not until fall. Fortunately with a library of 60+ tables its easy to go back and replay an over-looked table and master it.

My Devices
    steam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of any of those Fox Studios shows, but the tables are super -- my faves. South Park rules, too. The true originals are very creative, but the Fox licensed ones are best, imho.

My Devices
    PC, Android
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely agree. I just think their tables are so much more colourful and have more character than the licenced ones. I love Star Wars, but most of the tables are mediocre. For me just Boba Fett and RotJ are above average.

And i don't even like marvel, and the only tables i find fun are thor and Guardians of the Galaxy.

In the original tables, i like every single one of them i've played. I also think they are generally more colourful which goes well with the classic pinball aesthetic. In this context, some licences just don't seem suited to Pinball, like The Walking Dead (too brown) and Portal (too blue/grey).

My Devices
    iOS, Android
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if Zen will put out a "self-licensed" table for their Infinite Mini-golf game - similar to the (quite good) Castle Storm table they released a couple of years ago.

My Devices
    PC, Android
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Golf is a good theme for a pinball table, so it makes a lot of sense.