Thread: Chromebook keyboard

My Devices
    PC, Mac, Linux, Android
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chromebook keyboard

I have a Chromebook with no touchscreen and there are no keys set up to play. The plunger i believe it's the "5" key, but that's it.

My Devices
    NVidia Shield Tablet (Android 6), and Pixel XL
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tried plugging in a wired controller?

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've (or the Devs) have heard someone try to play TPA on a Chromebook.
    Find me on:
    Twitter | Google+ | Blab.im | GitHub | LinkedIn

My Devices
    Ipad, PC
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm waiting for a full hd ips Cheri book with 4 gig of ram at sub 200 for a nice 2nd system...but yeah interesting question.

And not to confuse the issue but

Does android tpa have a standard keyboard binding or what keyboard bindings does the controller mapping support?

For me I'd just rebound them via the console(not sure how easy that is on chrome)

Don't let me confuse you tho just curious

My Devices
    PC, Mac, Linux, Android
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Controller works just fine.
    Is Farsight even aware of this? I cannot possible be the first person to try to play TPA on a Chromebook with Play Store. Android x86 projects like (now defunct) RemixOS has been around for a while now.

My Devices
    Ipad, PC
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your at the very least the first forum user to have publicly attempted it, I cannot speak for farsight

My Devices
    PC, Mac, Linux, Android
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still nothing? So disappointed. I should be so easy to implement.

My Devices
    NVidia Shield Tablet (Android 6), and Pixel XL
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the following factors are worth considering in light of your disappointment:

- how this request fits into the challenges the team needs to tackle each month.
    - consider the total sub-market segment of Chromebook users as Android consumers.
    - weigh up the lack of interest or appetite from other affected Chromebook users in this thread.

It might be time to treat this issue as a Won't Fix, purely based on broader consumer appetite.

Understandably frustrating for you as an affected user, but not frustrating enough to commit resources to.
    Find me on:
    Twitter | Google+ | Blab.im | GitHub | LinkedIn

My Devices
    Ipad, PC
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredmorgs View Post
    I think the following factors are worth considering in light of your disappointment:

- how this request fits into the challenges the team needs to tackle each month.
    - consider the total sub-market segment of Chromebook users as Android consumers.
    - weigh up the lack of interest or appetite from other affected Chromebook users in this thread.

It might be time to treat this issue as a Won't Fix, purely based on broader consumer appetite.

Understandably frustrating for you as an affected user, but not frustrating enough to commit resources to.
    Your gettin gud at that commimication **** convict

My Devices
    PC, Mac, Linux, Android
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering that Chromebooks are the best selling laptops in the past few years, i'm thinking there is a big market out there. Getting through all the hoops to first, find this forum and then getting the anti-spam approval was way too exhausting, i don't think that the regular user would do that.

Now, most importantly: HOW ****ING HARD IS TO PROGRAM THE GODDAMNED FLIPPERS TO ****ING KEYBOARD BUTTONS??!?!?!?!?!?!?? It's just a few ****ing lines of code, it's just a ****ing half hour work to fix this stupid thing. Many pinballs for android had implemented this since years ago. I shouldn't be requesting this at all. Godddamit

My Devices
    Ipad, PC
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ulises View Post
    Considering that Chromebooks are the best selling laptops in the past few years, i'm thinking there is a big market out there. Getting through all the hoops to first, find this forum and then getting the anti-spam approval was way too exhausting, i don't think that the regular user would do that.

Now, most importantly: HOW ****ING HARD IS TO PROGRAM THE GODDAMNED FLIPPERS TO ****ING KEYBOARD BUTTONS??!?!?!?!?!?!?? It's just a few ****ing lines of code, it's just a ****ing half hour work to fix this stupid thing. Many pinballs for android had implemented this since years ago. I shouldn't be requesting this at all. Godddamit
    Chill the **** out?

My Devices
    Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, PC
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    Chill the **** out?
    What he said.

By the way, this is a fan forum, not an official forum run by FarSight. If you see any FarSight employees posting here, it's their free choice to come to this forum. Please keep your criticism constructive.

Also, if you want to contact FarSight directly, please send a mail to support@pinballarcade.com

FarSight Employee FarSight_Matt's Avatar
    My Devices
    Pixel, PC
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ulises View Post

I'll let Andy know... worried about your blood pressure!

My Devices
    Android, PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been considering buying a chromebook and was looking forward to playing TPA on it. oh well...

My Devices
    Pixel, PC
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizary View Post
    I've been considering buying a chromebook and was looking forward to playing TPA on it. oh well...
    Don't be sad! This is happening, we're looking for a chromebook to test it with though.

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarSight_Matt View Post
    Don't be sad! This is happening, we're looking for a chromebook to test it with though.
    We sell Chromebooks. Though not directly to consumers. Could let you know what our best-selling one is though (that way there's a chance your order might come through us...
    "You've got an arm like a wet rag!" - The Dummy, Hurricane (Williams, 1991)
    "Ace of Clubs?!" - Bride of Pin*Bot, Jack*Bot (Williams, 1995)
    "You have been terminated. Have a nice day!" - Candy 2000, Safe Cracker (Williams, 1996)

Wizard Goals remaining: Safe Cracker 26 [Unique] Tokens (19/26 collected); F-14 250K Launch Bonus; Frankie 150M Creature Jackpot, Complete CREATURE

My Devices
    PS3/PS4 (TPA) PS4 (SPA)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you guys have the game on Steam you could also try loading Linux on your Chromebook and playing TPA that way. I haven't tried playing TPA on my Chromebook but I did do a Linux install on it a while back. Look up Crouton for instructions on how to do it. I ended up uninstalling it after messing with it for a bit though. Chrome OS suits my needs just fine since I mainly just do web browsing on my Chromebook. It was fun to mess around with Linux though, even got Steam working on it. The lack of hard drive space on Chromebooks is an issue when using Steam on Linux though so you'll probably need an external drive if you want more than a game or two on Steam.
    It's all good.

My Devices
    PS3/PS4 (TPA) PS4 (SPA)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If TPA isn't available for Linux with Steam then you could try using Wine on Linux. This allows you to use Windows programs on Linux. Haven't tried it myself but it's an option.
    It's all good.

My Devices
    Pixel, PC
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EldarOfSuburbia View Post
    We sell Chromebooks. Though not directly to consumers. Could let you know what our best-selling one is though (that way there's a chance your order might come through us...
    We're considering starting a kickstarter for Chromebook support so we can get one to test it with... (just kidding)

My Devices
    Ipad, PC
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want my money back? Im ne er buying another table again! Im so confused

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could buy, say, a Lenovo N23 11.6" Chromebook. I see from our sales report for the last quarter, er, sorry, heard on the grapevine they're very popular....
    "You have been terminated. Have a nice day!" - Candy 2000, Safe Cracker (Williams, 1996)

Wizard Goals remaining: Safe Cracker 26 [Unique] Tokens (19/26 collected); F-14 250K Launch Bonus; Frankie 150M Creature Jackpot, Complete CREATURE

My Devices
    Galaxy Tab 7, Xperia Z2 tablet
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    considering HW that is inside chromebooks (except that google overpriced crap) there's zero chance to run PC version of the game inside Wine. There's a reason why they cost less than some midrange phone.
    Dear FS, Special Force and Radical, please.

My Devices
    PC, Android, WiiU
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure. The whole point of a Chromebook is you don't have software installed on them, you run and store everything in the cloud. Just because you can install and run a particular app, doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea to do so. For starters TPA is big. Uses up 1.87Gb on my tablet, and that's missing 4 or 5 tables I don't own. That's a significant chunk of storage on your average Chromebook.

I don't see a problem with a Chromebook running TPA - they are using desktop/notebook processors, after all, but again, mainly Intel (Celeron) / AMD processors not the ARM or Qualcomm chips you find in mobile devices, so who knows if the code that is optimized for mobile chipsets will work as well.