Click here to go to the first FarSight post in this thread.   Thread: Full Gamepad Support for Steam version?

My Devices
    Xbox 360, PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full Gamepad Support for Steam version?

After trying Steam's Big Picture Mode and seeing how nice it works on a TV and a PC with a gamepad, all I have to ask is this: Please, please, please include 'Full Gamepad Support' for TPA if you release it on Steam. It's actually kinda all awesome after finally setting it up. Considdering how things went sorta bananas on Xbox 360 and the issues with updating, I think I'd make a PC setup with Steam Big Picture my primary way of playing TPA should it happen.

Just sayin', devs.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it shouldn't be the ONLY way to use gamepads on TPA, Xinput (what Big Picture is really made for) makes things very easy given you have Xbox 360 controllers (wired, and/or wireless with a receiver) or certain Logitech pads that are compatible with it. Nearly every controller compatible steam game uses Xinput, so TPA should support it as well.
    Last edited by Steven Lucz; 02-23-2013 at 11:06 AM.

My Devices
    xbox 360 and droid razr maxx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PLEASE support the xbox 360 controller! I loved playing with it when you supported xbox 360! i can't imagine playing with the keyboard now!

My Devices
    PC, Xbox 360, iPad 3
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattenno View Post
    PLEASE support the xbox 360 controller! I loved playing with it when you supported xbox 360! i can't imagine playing with the keyboard now!
    The PC versions will support the 360 controller.
    See the Lost in the Zone blog for my high score list, as well as more opinion, commentary, and observations on both physical and virtual pinball.

My Devices
    iPad 4, PC, PS3, 360
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and customizable controls are confirmed too.

My Devices
    PC, Xbox 360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news. Looking forward to loading TPA up on the PC with my Xbox controller.

Just a little side note... players should be aware that plugging an Xbox 360 console controller into your PC using the USB charge lead will not work.
    Last edited by kimkom; 05-04-2013 at 03:06 AM.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never tried it with a charge cable, but at least corded controllers and wireless controllers via a receiver work great.

My Devices
    Playing TPA on PC. PS3, iPad 2 and 360.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a corded 360 controller the other day. Going to mess around a bit with Steams Big Picturetoday
    And eagerly await the TPA Steam release

My Devices
    Xbox 360, Android, 3DS, PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to playing it with my X-Arcade side pinball buttons...finally
    Gamertag: SuperHappyPuppy
    Arabian Nights: 236,205,390 | Ripley's: 180,219,790 | Black Hole: 2,742,080 | Theatre of Magic: 5,479,118,150

My Devices
    PC, Xbox 360
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warh0g View Post
    I ordered a corded 360 controller the other day. Going to mess around a bit with Steams Big Picturetoday
    And eagerly await the TPA Steam release
    I use a corded 360 controller too, works great.

My Devices
    PS3, Vita, PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinball FX 2 on Steam only supports Xinput controllers, which apparently my Logitech Dual Action controller is DirectInput, so I can't use it. My Logitech mapping software doesn't work with the game, and it is the first game I've tried that didn't work with it. My controller works with everything else, so I consider it sucky and a waste of money if I have to buy a brand new controller just for one game. I really hope TPA doesn't go the same route and make my controller incompatible. It is still in good shape so I see no reason at all to replace it.

So basically, what I am saying is that if I can't use my Dual Action when TPA comes out on PC, like Pinball FX 2, I'm not going to get it at all. I can play it just fine on my Vita.
    Last edited by Freelance; 05-19-2013 at 08:28 AM.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This certainly needs to be a day-one feature along with some ability to customize the controls.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PFX 2 certainly isn't the only game with that Xpad-only problem, seems as though some other games especially console ports like London 2012 the game and Dungeons and Dragons - Chronicles of Mystara have the same issues where it mainly supports a 360-style pad and little else. You can bypass this by using a Xinput profiler, but even then it's a bad design flaw for a PC developer to do.
    Last edited by Steven Lucz; 07-13-2013 at 01:27 AM.

14.   This is the last FarSight post in this thread.   #14
    FarSight Employee
    My Devices
    All
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx

Unfortunately MS deprecated Direct Input which worked with all kinds of controllers for the newer XInput which really only works with the Xbox 360 Controller (or similar).

That said, I'm not sure which our engine is using without looking. Hopefully we'll get input from beta users on which devices work and which don't. And hopefully that'll allow us to get those others working.

My Devices
    PC, Kindle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully that input is soon ; the wait is killing me!

If you need another tester I have a xbox controller and would love to tell you it works. If you spend to much time adding inputs for esoteric controllers you may never get this out the door.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a free program called X360CE which makes PC programs think your gamepad is an xbox360 controller. I haven't run into a program yet that it didn't work with using my logitech pad. You might want to look into using that with PFX and TPA too eventually if it doesn't work otherwise. I'm not going to link into it here but a quick googling should find it.

My Devices
    PS3, Android, PC, PS Vita, Wii U, 3DS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reitmeyer View Post
    Unfortunately MS deprecated Direct Input which worked with all kinds of controllers for the newer XInput which really only works with the Xbox 360 Controller (or similar).
    Just because MS deprecated DirectInput doesn't mean that there isn't a large user base out there that still has compatible devices and ditto installed drivers, those devices also still works with already-installed games. So perhaps for the Metro-version Microsoft will say "Jump" and you are contractually bound to reply "How high?", for the Steam version that shouldn't matter.

Note that we already know that the game is going to be at DirectX 9 level, so not supporting DirectInput would be rather strange.

My Devices
    PS3, Vita, PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm sure there must be other people like me who still has DirectInput controllers. Mine still works great and even some newer games I have still support my gamepad. Heck, even Thunder Wolves, which is an XBox only game (on Live Arcade I think), supports DirectInput controllers on PC. I have it on Steam and it plays great with my gamepad. Pinball FX 2 doesn't support it though, so I hope it's not the case with TPA as well.
    Last edited by Freelance; 07-27-2013 at 01:39 PM.

My Devices
    PC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To all of you who have non-Xbox gamepads, your solution is here and works perfectly:
    http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

Just place the x360.exe file in the game directory, launch the app, save the settings and your gamepad will work.